Baby Sleep Tips
Getting a baby to adjust to a normal sleep schedule can be a challenge for new parents. Here are some tips so that both you and your baby can get a good night's rest.
1) Establish a routine - A kiss good night or stroking the baby before sleep can calm the child, or bathing and cleaning the child before bed time. Make sure to repeat these patterns. Once the baby becomes familiar with this routine, they will know that it is time to sleep. Also, make sure the baby sleeps in the same place and in the same conditions as much as possible.
2) Try lullaby music - Lullaby music can calm the child as can white noise CD's. The sound of a vacuum cleaner is also known to have a soothing effect.
3) Make sure that the room temperature is not too hot or cold and that the baby is in a location that is away from any noise or distractions that may cause the baby to awaken.
4) Shorten nap time during the day - If the baby sleeps too much during the day, then he or she may not be able to sleep as well at night. When napping, keep the lights on and try not to give the baby any cues that it is bed time by avoiding the night routine. No need to wake the child from napping, but if conditions are brighter and a bit noisier, then the baby will probably wake up on its own.
5) Rocking - Rocking and massaging the baby can relax the child and this may be good as prelude to sleeping through the night.
6) Read a story - Read a story or spend some time with the baby before bed, instead of just dropping the baby off in the crib and leaving. This extra time will allow the baby to transition into sleep.
7) Feeding - Make sure the baby is getting good nutrition. If you must feed the baby in the middle of the night, make sure to keep the lights dim so as to not disturb the baby's sense of time.
8) Make sure that it is quiet at night and that there is activity during the day. Babies need to learn the difference between night and day.
Real Nappies (Cotton Nappies) or Disposables - The Debate
I'm sure you have heard some of the debate surrounding real nappies, whether you should use them, the environmental impact of disposables and so on. Well, this short summary provides, what I believe to be, a balanced view of the pros and cons of real nappies.
Traveling With Babies
If you start baby travel slowly and plan wisely, both you and baby will enjoy first-class comfort. Begin with baby steps and you'll find that soon you and your little one will be able to walk, ride, or fly in the fast lane.
The Perfect Baby Shower Gift
Have you found yourself frustrated trying to decide what to buy for a baby shower gift? By the time you have spent energy, money and time buying and wrapping the "perfect" gift, you find that someone else had the same idea. This scenario is the same embarrassment that you felt in Jr. High School when some girl wore the identical dress for the Spring Dance. I can reassure you that help is on the way for those who don't find gift shopping a thrill a minute.
Baby Cold Symptoms and How to Treat Them
Remember how miserable you felt when you last had a cold? Can you imagine what your baby must feel when he experiences a cold for the first time?
How to Pick the Best Name for Your Baby
Expectant parents spend hours preparing the nursery, poring over pregnancy and delivery books and going to childbirth classes. Yet surprisingly, many decide their child's given name within a matter of minutes, often spending more time selecting the right car seat or stroller.
Baby Shower Favor Ideas
With so many different aspects of a shower to plan, coming up with a baby shower favor idea is often the last consideration on a long list of planning.
Hints And Tips On Scrapbooking Baby?s ?Firsts?
It is true to say that a lot of people begin to get the scrappin' bug after their child/children are born and usually their first attempt at scrapbooking is making a baby album.
Baby Products ? Essential Baby Products, Which Ones Do I Really Need?
There are many essential baby products a new parent must purchase. Cribs, car seats, baby monitors, baby strollers, high chairs and clothing are all necessary to ensure your child's safety and comfort. However, there are many baby products out there that are not worth wasting your money on, but are marketed to parents as being vital for a baby's growth and development. Parents always want the best for their child and therefore purchase these items that do not serve a great function. This guide reveals the important baby products a parent must obtain to properly care for their child.
Favorite Cake Flavors for Baby and Bridal Showers
A cake is an excellent treat at any party, especially baby showers and bridal showers. Asides from making a great centerpiece for your snack table, cakes are a delicious treat that everyone will enjoy. Here are some of the most popular flavors for cakes:
Tale of the Missing Nub
The extent of the memory loss that accompanies new parenthood really surprised me the first few times I experienced it. My task is especially difficult when I must not only to retrace my own footsteps, but figure out what my toddler might have seen fit to do with that half-gnawed cookie, the crayons she was supposed to pick up and put away, and the box of peppermints I just bought.
5 Best Free Child Games for Your Preschooler
There seems to be more and more pressure on parents these days to enrol their pre school children in all sorts of innovative learning programs. There are music and swimming classes, craft centres and activities to promote movement, motor skills or sporting ability.
Baby Shower Games For Your Special Baby Shower
So you're holding a baby shower? Then you will need baby shower games to keep the guests entertained. While the baby shower is a good time to pamper the mom-to-be and make her feel very special there are also a number of guests that need to be kept happy for the duration of the event. Our focus here is on baby shower games, since these are always the most memorable part of any baby shower.
Baby Slings - Comfort for Both the Child and the Parent
Baby slings are one of those things that have been in existence for thousands of years but have only just recently made a comeback in modern society. It's hard to imagine how previous generations of mothers manage without something like baby sling carriers to help them carry their babies.
Aargh those Pesky Sleep Problems!
It's 2am and your baby is up for the third time since 7pm.She's 2 months old and from all the books and magazines you've readSHE'S SUPPOSED TO BE SLEEPING THROUGHT HE NIGHT!!!!!How long can this go on?!!! As difficult as this is it doesn't last forever.
Playing With Food Words: Teaching Mindfulness to Preschoolers
The most powerful way to instill a love for language and an awareness of health in young children is to help them use specific words as cues for mindfulness. Mindfulness is simply paying attention, noticing new things, drawing distinctions, and shifting perspectives. It is the very essence of fun, and all children have a natural tendency to be mindful. That's how we learn from the time we are infants!
Potty Training in One Day - Can You Really Potty Train in a Day? What Does It Mean?
Sounds great ? doesn't it?
Childrens Gift Ideas: Babies, Toddlers, and Beyond
When your time comes to shower a new mom or family with baby gifts, keep in mind that not all gifts are created equally.
Special Considerations for the Premature Baby
Every parent hopes and prays that their newborn will be healthy and safe. Normally a pregnancy lasts nine months. The gestation of a full term pregnancy is traditionally between 37 to 42 weeks. Any baby born before 37 weeks is considered premature.
The 7 Biggest Baby Sleep Mistakes That Parents Make
When parents face difficulties with infant and child sleep issues, they can often feel helpless and alone. Although it seems like everyone has advice to give, it seems like nobody offers a definitive plan as to how to get your child to sleep through the night
Baby Room Themes: Fun Ideas Your Baby Will Love
Decorating a nursery for your new baby can be a fun and exciting experience. It will be the first place for your baby to dream, to experience, and to grow. Here are a few things to keep in mind: