14 Steps To Reducing Your Infants Reflux
Many of the things listed below will help with your baby's discomfort and spitting up, eliminating the need for medication.
POSITIONING STEPS FOR REDUCING REFLUX
Positioning During and After Feeds
1. Keeping the child upright during and for at least thirty minutes after feeds can help to reduce reflux by allowing gravity to work at holding the food in their tummies. As well, after feeding, try to keep them as motionless as possible for at least thirty minutes after feeding. Formula fed babies may require longer periods since formula is digested slower than breastmilk.
A Word About Car Seats
2. Some car seats position baby in such a way that they hunched and slouched over, putting added pressure on their tummies which can increase reflux episodes. Look for a car seat that allows baby to be reclined enough that they aren't slouched yet, inclined enough that they are fairly upright.
3. As with positioning after feeding, keeping baby propped during sleep is essential when they have reflux. It can help reduce painful reflux episodes and reduce the risk of aspiration.
Prone vs. Supine (Front vs Back)
4. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends all babies sleep in the supine position (on their backs) because it has been shown to reduce the risk of SIDS. This is fine for babies with reflux as long as the baby is safely propped up to at least 30%, we found the higher baby is propped the better. Having said that, many babies with reflux prefer sleeping in the prone position (stomach), also elevated of course, and may have less reflux episodes in this position. Discuss this with your doctor and he can help decide if it's okay, and how to safely manage allowing baby to sleep in the prone position. It's very important to discuss this with the doctor before trying it as babies with reflux are already at an increased risk of SIDS.
5. Try carrying baby around as much as possible in a baby carrier through out the day. Carried babies tend to cry less and crying will make reflux worse, plus, it keeps baby upright.
CLOTHING AND REFLUX
Avoid Tight Clothing
6. Tight clothing, particularly clothing that's tight around baby's tummy, can make reflux worse by increasing pressure on the LES (lower esophageal sphincter). Make sure baby stays in loose fitting, elastic waists whenever possible.
FOOD / FEEDING TIPS AND SUGGESTIONS
7. Breastfeeding is definitely best for a baby with reflux because it is more hypoallergenic than formula and is digested twice as fast as formula. If breastfeeding is not chosen or not possible by the mother, formula changes can help some babies. If the baby has a milk or lactose allergy or intolerance giving the baby formula that is milk based can make reflux worse. Learn about the different types of formula available and discuss this possibility with your pediatrician.
8. Some babies with reflux will respond well to thickening their feeds with cereal. Thickening formula can help for a few reasons. The added weight of the cereal in the food helps to keep the food from splashing around in the baby's belly and can help keep it down. Babies who are having difficulty gaining weight may also benefit from the added calories. Generally, it's recommended that about one tablespoon of cereal should be added for every ounce of formula. If the formula isn't thick enough, it won't work. Also, some babies may react poorly to rice cereal which is generally the first tried, so adding oatmeal instead may work better for some babies. As always discuss this with your pediatrician before trying it.
9. When and how much a baby is fed can also have an impact on their reflux. Smaller more frequent meals through out the day work much better than larger, less frequent meals. Also, avoid feeding baby right before bedtime, particularly if the baby is already a poor sleeper.
10. If you are breastfeeding, try eliminating the foods that can make reflux worse. Dairy products are a big offender, as is caffeine, fatty foods, spicy foods, citrus fruits. If eliminating these things seems to help, you can slowly (about one thing a week) start to introduce one thing at a time back into your diet and watch baby's reactions. This will help give you an idea of exactly what was making the reflux worse, so that you (hopefully) don't need to give up everything you love, just one or two things.
11. Stopping to burp baby frequently (at least after every ounce) during feedings can help.
Provide a Pacifier
12. Sucking on a pacifier or dummy, can increase saliva production. Saliva is alkaline which can help neutralize some of the acid that may come up.
Avoid Certain Foods and Liquids
13. More so for older children and babies, there are certain foods that are known to make reflux worse, as mentioned above. These should be avoided.
14. Try infant massage, it's been shown to improve digestion and will help relax baby.
Babies Bring Love, Joy, and Opinions
The old saying "babies aren't born with instruction manuals" has opened the door for unwanted advice from family and friends, alike. If you're a mother, specifically a "new" mother, at first you may appreciate the guidance of those that went before you. But eventually even the most patient of women will break. You will most likely become a hermit, hiding the car in the garage, locking the doors, turning the ringer off and avoiding anyone that perceives themselves as an "expert" on the subject of motherhood and newborns. So before you become a recluse and start avoiding all human contact; here's some more advice on "unwanted" advice.
Fun and Easy Baby Shower Crafts
Baby shower crafts can be fun and easy to make. Here are some practical ideas to make sure your baby shower is a huge success. All you need is a little money, a little bit of time, and a whole lot of heart. These baby craft ideas are perfect for any baby shower.
The Personality Traits Of An Aries Baby
Your Aries Baby..
Is It Colic, Infant Reflux, Or GERD? Learn How To Tell The Difference
It can sometimes be difficult for a parent to understand whether the baby has colic or reflux (and even GERD) since some of the symptoms (eg. poor sleep, constant crying) can be similiar. It's also extremely important to rule out reflux as a cause of this crying, as it's becoming widely acknowledged that many cases of colic are actually undiagnosed and untreated cases of reflux. In these cases, simply treating the reflux may eliminate the colicky behavior.
Family Baby Showers
The addition of baby number 2, 3, or 10 is an occasion to celebrate for any family.
Prepare Your Child For Potty Training
When your child shows a majority of the signs of potty training readiness, you can start introducing him to the idea of using the potty.
What Foods Should I Avoid While Breastfeeding?
Women in our culture are sometimes advised to avoid spicy or "gassy" foods when nursing. Or they are told that chocolate, citrus, carbonated beverages or dairy causes problems in all nursing babies.
Babies Suffering For Colic
About one quarter of babies will suffer from colic from around age 3 weeks - and you will suffer too! All babies cry of course, but those with colic will cry relentlessly for at least three hours several times a week, usually in the evening when your partner gets home from work. This can be a stressful time for you all, but it will go away of its own accord once baby reaches about 12 weeks. In the meantime there are some things you can try to ease her discomfort and the decibel level.
Choosing Baby Names
Take Your TimeThe worst thing you could do when choosing a baby name is to rush into it. Settling for second best may affect you and your child for a lifetime! Don't commit yourself to the first name that you fancy. Keep searching until you find a name that you are 110% happy with. And don't forget that you don't need to have a name for your baby before birth. Some parents have been known to wait 2 or 3 weeks before deciding on that perfect name.
Your Baby?s Nursery ? What You Will Need
As an expectant mother, you are full of excitement and anticipation for the arrival of your little baby. You are picking out names, attending baby showers, and learning all there is to know about being a mother. One good and productive way to channel some of this excitement is to prepare the nursery in advance. Some items you will need are listed below.
Planning the Perfect Baby Shower
One of the most exciting events an expecting mother looks forward to is celebrating her baby shower.
Tips and Tricks for Introducing Solids to Your Baby
Helping your child move from breast breast milk or formula to solids is a milestone for both you and your baby. However, it can be challenging for some parents. Here are some tips and tricks I've compiled for introducing solid foods to your baby. Do remember, however, that you should follow your pediatrician's advice if you're in doubt.
Baby Names - Choosing Trendy or Traditional
Lists of baby names are always fun to look at, whether you're seeking a name for your soon-to-be-born baby boy or baby girl, wondering about the popularity of your own first name, or just curious about what baby names are currently hot.
Baby Gift Baskets ? A Personalized Way to Show How Much You Care
When baby showers abound what can you give to that new mom that will be a unique gift for baby? The choices for baby and infant gift ideas are considerable but one of the best baby gifts that you can give is a gift basket. A gift basket is one present that comes in many varieties, themes and price ranges and can offer great baby shower ideas when it comes to unique baby shower gifts. A vast selection of baskets exists not only for baby and mom but there are even gift baskets for dads, siblings and specific baby shower themes.
Baby Shower Invitations Ideas
The first thing you need to do before you order invitations or make your own baby shower invitations is to decide on the theme of your party! You can choose from baby shower invitations ideas like teddy bears, ducks, baby bottles and diaper pins. And what colors do you want? Blue for boys, pink for girls, or yellow and green for the baby yet unseen?
Under Carpet Heating In The Nursery ? To Help Your Baby Sleep Through The Night And More!
As new parents, we all want what's best for our babies. There are so many things to worry about, not the least of which are colds, allergies, sleeping through the night, and keeping their delicate skin soft and moisturized. So, you ask, what can I do to help with all of these dilemmas? The answer is a product that is little-known to the general public, called under carpet heating, which eliminates several problems with your traditional forced air heating systems that can result in all of these concerns and more.
How to Choose a Baby Swing
According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, 1,000 American infants are taken to emergency rooms every year for injuries sustained while using swings. This is generally a result of the infant's head or neck becoming trapped between the back rest and the bars the swing is suspended from. If figures like this concern you as a parent, then knowing how to choose a baby swing that is safe and durable, will be one of your first priorities.
Baby Furniture Buyers Guide
Communication between the guests would be wise to prevent any duplicate gifts. The guests could also choose to get together on something more expensive such as a piece of nursery furniture. The parents need items that will hold up well for their newborn, so check to make certain the item you choose is sturdy and built for safety.
Unusual Baby Boy Names - Finding Exotic and Unique Baby Names
Unusual baby boy names and finding exotic and unique baby names can be loads of fun! Rather than giving your baby boy a name like Jacob, John or Harry -- you'd prefer him have one of the more exotic and unique baby names.
The Average Growth In Babies
Growth charts are tools your pediatrician can use to keep track of your child's physical growth. During each checkup, the doctor will measure your baby's length, weight, and head circumference. The doctor can then compare the measurements for your baby to a chart of national averages for infants of the same age and sex.