Baby?s First Shoes: How to Choose the Right Ones
Any parent of an active toddler has asked this question: "When should my child start wearing shoes?"
There is no clear consensus. Some parents buy shoes as soon as their baby pulls herself into a first tentative stand; others wait as long as possible, preferring not to constrict their children's feet.
"As a general rule, kids will need shoes when they are ready to start walking around outdoors," says Peggy Wells, who is both a mother and president of Pip Squeakers, a children's shoe company. "You will want something that protects your baby's feet but still allows for some flexibility," she explains.
For parents contemplating purchasing their baby's first shoes, here are some suggestions for things to consider from the experts at parentsplace.com and pipsqueakers.com:
* Make sure you get the proper fit. Shoes that are too tight or too loose could be painful or cause blisters, and may even hamper walking. Have your pediatrician measure your child's feet, during the regular check-ups. This will provide you with an accurate measurement when you refer to a shoe company's sizing chart.
* Avoid stiff, high-top leather shoes; there is no evidence that they help babies walk. Instead, look for something soft and flexible that allows your baby to use the movement of his feet to maintain balance and to walk. They should be made from canvas or some other breathable material, and have flat, flexible, non-slip soles.
* Get shoes your child likes. Pip Squeakers shoes make a pleasing "squeak" that children enjoy. "It encourages them to move, walk and explore their surroundings," says Wells, who adds that children enjoy creating the amusing sounds with each step. An added benefit is safety: the sound allows parents to more easily track the movements of their toddler and keep them within a close radius.
* Safe closures. Make sure that your baby's shoes fasten well. Double-knot laces so that they are less likely to come undone and make sure buckle straps are secure without being too tight. Velcro fasteners are the easiest option.
* It is normal to have a slight discrepancy in foot size between the two feet; you want to make sure to go with the shoe size that fits the larger foot. Allow about one-half inch of space at the end of the longest toe to the end of the shoe. The toes should be able to wiggle freely, and the heel should not slip with normal walking.
* Get the shoe that is most comfortable for your child, even if it is not the same size that the measurement device indicates. Be aware that sizing differs with each shoe company, so refer to their respective sizing charts. It is advisable to inspect the shoe fit every couple of weeks, to insure the continuing comfort of your child's feet.
Because of their unique ability to make sounds, Pip Squeakers shoes may be of interest to parents of children with disabilities who may have vision or mobility problems.
Baby Furniture Buyers Guide
Communication between the guests would be wise to prevent any duplicate gifts. The guests could also choose to get together on something more expensive such as a piece of nursery furniture. The parents need items that will hold up well for their newborn, so check to make certain the item you choose is sturdy and built for safety.
Playing Baby Computer Games ? The New Parent-Child Tradition?
Imagine cuddling up with your small child to look at a picture book together that is interactive, musical, responsive and talks to you?
Baby Shower Game Distraction
The best baby games for baby showers to entertain all of your guests and let the mother-to-be benefit from the experience of others. Your baby shower then will become more than a party. It's an entertaining learning experience.
20 Popular Quotations About Babies
1. "A baby is God's way of saying the world should go on." - Doris Smith
Getting to Know Your Baby: Babys Second Month Guide
Time has flown. Your little bundle of joy has been a partof your home for more than four weeks now. The new dad andmum are now more relaxed, confident, and really enjoy theirnew responsibilities (at least most of the time). Here are afew pointers on what to expect in baby's second month.
13 Donts on Child Safety
For years, we have been taught that 13 is an unlucky number: Don't go up to the 13th floor of a building and don't go out on Friday the 13th, our grandmothers used to say. But 13 is also a sacred number due to its secret knowledge, mystery and tangible powers.
Teething Symptoms and How to Treat Them
Teething is what your baby experiences when her first set of teeth begins to appear.
Baby Nursery Furniture
You are expecting your first baby and are wondering what type of nursery furniture you will need to make your life easier and your little one comfortable. You will find that there are an array of cribs in all types of designs, styles and colors to fit with any décor you choose for your nursery.
Freezing Homemade Baby Food
With our twin boys getting ready to start solid food, I have beenreading about making and freezing my own baby food. It is veryeasy!
Your Little Gourmet: Babys Fifth Month Guide
Baby smiled her real smiles at you and you were so charmed,you decided nothing could be better. But baby has more instore for you in her fifth month. Endless entertainmentcoupled with increasing interest in her surroundings makesyour five month-old baby an ideal playmate.
Where Will You Give Birth To Your Baby?
Where To Give Birth..
Babies Born During The Sign Of Gemini
Your Gemini Baby..
Long Distance Baby Shower
A long distance baby shower is for when mothers won't be attending the physical party. Most of the time, baby showers are held around the 7th or 8th month of pregnancy. But for some mothers who live far away from family, this presents a problem.
Choose Baby Bedding Wisely
Every adorable baby deserves equally adorable baby bedding to complete the nursery. There are other things to consider when deciding on what is right for the nursery. Bedding for your baby must be safe as well as fitting in with your decorating theme. You only need a lightweight blanket, no comforter is necessary.
Selecting The Right Type of Stroller For Your Lifestyle
Having a baby is exciting, but also very tough! There are tons of decisions you will make throughout your pregnancy, throughout your babies infancy and during their entire lives! One of those early decisions you will have to make is what type of stroller to by your precious baby. In case you weren't aware, a stroller is a must have item for all new parents! Most parents buy their first stroller before they even buy a crib for their newborn. You can use your stroller from day one!
Babies: How to Get Your Children Excited About the New Arrival
The sudden appearance of a new baby can be rough on the other children in the family. Daily routines are disrupted and suddenly mom and dad are too busy to pay attention to older siblings. Worst of all, the new baby is the instant star of the family - the center of attention. The adorable baby is the big attraction for everyone from mom and dad, to visiting relatives, to casual acquaintances bumped into at the mall, right down to strangers on the street. Everyone is talking baby talk, cooing at the new baby, and making a fuss over the newborn. The older kids may feel shunted aside and resentful. This is especially true for the displaced former baby of the family.
On the Road Again
Just like Willy Nelson, I could not wait to get on the road again.
Choosing Baby Names
Take Your TimeThe worst thing you could do when choosing a baby name is to rush into it. Settling for second best may affect you and your child for a lifetime! Don't commit yourself to the first name that you fancy. Keep searching until you find a name that you are 110% happy with. And don't forget that you don't need to have a name for your baby before birth. Some parents have been known to wait 2 or 3 weeks before deciding on that perfect name.
Baby Shower Games For Your Special Baby Shower
So you're holding a baby shower? Then you will need baby shower games to keep the guests entertained. While the baby shower is a good time to pamper the mom-to-be and make her feel very special there are also a number of guests that need to be kept happy for the duration of the event. Our focus here is on baby shower games, since these are always the most memorable part of any baby shower.
How to Pick the Best Name for Your Baby
Expectant parents spend hours preparing the nursery, poring over pregnancy and delivery books and going to childbirth classes. Yet surprisingly, many decide their child's given name within a matter of minutes, often spending more time selecting the right car seat or stroller.