Unique and Unusual Baby Names
Today one of the biggest trends in naming is choosing a unique name. Those of us who grew up in the 70's and 80's undoubtedly knew multiple Jennifers, Amys, Michaels and Johns, and many parents want their child to have a more unusual name. Parents have dusted off old classics, combined names and altered spellings in the hopes of saving their child from the fate of being known throughout their school years as "Amy with a Y" or "Michael R, the one with brown hair." So how do you find a name that is unique and unusual? Here are some suggestions, along with a few warnings.
1. If you live in the US, look through the top 100 names from the Social Security lists for the past few years to get a sense of what names are currently popular. You may be surprised at just how many children share a name that sounds fresh and unusual to you.
2. Look for unused classics. Literature is a great source of names that were once popular but have since fallen down the charts. Read the names in your family tree or look at Social Security lists from the early 1900's and you may just fall in love with a forgotten classic.
3. Anticipate the trends. Right now, names from the 1900's-1930's are very hot for girls. In another decade, that will probably move forward to names from the 1940's and 1950's. Look at those names now and see if any appeal to you.
4. Create your own name by combining two family names or altering a name that you love. Be cautious in this, however, as not all created names sound appealing. You may want to ask family and friends for opinions before committing to an invented name.
And now for the warnings:
1. Keep in mind that names used in popular television series or films are likely to skyrocket in popularity, as are names of celebrity children. For example, the name Ella and its variants have become extremely popular since a few celebrities used it and it appeared as a baby's name on the show ER.
2. Beware of creative spellings. While it's true that Keightl'nne looks very different from Caitlin or Katelyn, it is still pronounced the same way and is still ultimately the same name. You may be causing your child a lifetime of confusion as she attempts to spell her name over the phone, while she is still one of five or six Caitlins in her class. 3. Beware of punctuation in names, which could cause problems when filling out computerized forms.
4. Be careful not to take the hunt for creative names too far. Imagine the name as your own, or try the "profession test". Would you wish to be known forever as Egwene? Can you picture The Honorable Judge Tequila Mad'y'syn being called to the bench?
5. Above all, remember that what really matters is finding a name you love, one that grows well with your child. Even the top names are being given to fewer and fewer children these days, so if you fall in love with Emma or Jacob, don't let fears of popularity force you to use another name you don't really care for.
Copyright 2005 http://StorkNet.com
Written by Susan Harkavy for StorkNet's Baby Names Cubby (http://www.storknet.com/babynames), a one-stop shop for all things baby names. Visit StorkNet for support and information related to preconception, pregnancy, and parenting including childbirth, breastfeeding, pregnancy loss and more.
Baby Monitor Technology - A Buyers Guide
What is a baby monitor & why do I need one?
Baby Gift Baskets ? A Personalized Way to Show How Much You Care
When baby showers abound what can you give to that new mom that will be a unique gift for baby? The choices for baby and infant gift ideas are considerable but one of the best baby gifts that you can give is a gift basket. A gift basket is one present that comes in many varieties, themes and price ranges and can offer great baby shower ideas when it comes to unique baby shower gifts. A vast selection of baskets exists not only for baby and mom but there are even gift baskets for dads, siblings and specific baby shower themes.
Childrens Bedroom Furniture - Three Mothers Share Their Buying Habits
Just two months ago, a group of mothers from three generations (Gen Y, Gen X and Baby Boomer demographics) shared their buying habits with retailers and manufacturers on purchasing childrens bedroom furniture and baby products. This occurred at the fifth annual Kids Today conference in Bonita Springs Florida.
Theory of Child Cognitive Development
Jean Piaget has allowed us many insights into child cognitive development and his valuable research made great inroads concerning brain functioning in general. According to Piaget and his theories on child cognitive development, children are born with a great desire to interact with and understand the world around them.
Baby Room Decor Tips & Hints
When you plan for a baby room decor, the best thing would be to give attention to detail. Choose the one which would look eye catching to your guests, pleasing to you and comfortable to the baby. A well lit room could be beautiful provided it does not affect or strain the baby's eyes.
Keeping Baby Safe: Your Most Important Role As A Parent
Saying Thanks, But No Thanks to Used Safety Equipment
Potty Training Dolls - Why Use a Potty Training Doll to Assist in Potty Training Your Child?
The idea of using potty dolls to potty train toddlers has been around for some 30 years. Many parents (including myself) have successfully potty trained their children using a potty training doll.
Baby Car Seat Glossary Guide
To the uninitiated parent, buying a car seat for your child can seem technical at best. There are a dozen terms designers and retail stores use to describe car seats, their various accessories and features. Below you'll find some handy tips for sorting through the riff raff and deciding what features and accessories you really need for your carseat.
How To Deal With Toddler Temper Tantrums
It's one of the few things your child can do that will make your cringe. A high-pitched, eardrum shattering, teeth grinding scream that goes on and on and on. Sometimes to the accompaniment of heels beating on the floor, or fists on the wall. You may have to duck as the toys start flying, because your toddler is having a temper tantrum.
5 Best Free Child Games for Your Preschooler
There seems to be more and more pressure on parents these days to enrol their pre school children in all sorts of innovative learning programs. There are music and swimming classes, craft centres and activities to promote movement, motor skills or sporting ability.
Benefits of Making Your Own Homemade Baby Food
Making your own homemade baby food will ensure that what your child is eating is fresh, nutritious and free of additives. By making your own baby food, you'll be saving money. Also, you will have total control over what is put into your baby's food. You can therefore take the extra steps to ensure that only high quality foods are selected and used. You will be able to feed your baby according to his or her needs because you will know what foods are best suited for your baby from experience.
Backpacking With Children: My Own Adventures
When I had my firstborn I thought I new everything there was to know about raising children. I had read all the books, interviewed all my friends, come from a family full of 'wise' people? you get my meaning. I soon discovered however that I didn't know a single thing about raising an infant. Of course, with number two, all that has changed. While I am still learning, there are some things I can definitely say I have mastered. One is the fine art of baby backpacking.
The Personality Traits of a Leo Baby
Your Leo Baby..
Baby Shower Favor Ideas
With so many different aspects of a shower to plan, coming up with a baby shower favor idea is often the last consideration on a long list of planning.
The Five Best Baby Shower Gifts
Ask first time parents-to-be what baby shower gifts they would like to receive. Watch their response -- you'll quite likely see a look of real confusion on their faces! Or maybe they'll come up with a stock answer like "diapers" or something similar.
Baby Safety Checklist - Protecting Your Baby
When bringing home your new baby, there are so many things to do in order to get ready. Making your home a safe haven for your new little one is one of the most important things you will do to get ready. Each room contains its own set of dangers. Below is a baby safety checklist to ensure that every room in your house is baby friendly.
How to Find Those Elusive Baby Gifts That Are Just Right
Baby Gifts from gift certificates to very expensive toys. Something for every budget and taste. Gift certificates can be purchased at many different merchants.
Are You Spending Too Much Money on Baby Gear?
Did you waste $57 today? I hope not. Unfortunately, so many new parents pay much more than they have to for baby products, because they don't know the secrets the insiders know.
Baby Shower Food Items
Baby shower food items are one of the most important features of the baby shower. When guests arrive at a baby shower they are expecting food that includes desserts, appetizers, and baby shower finger food. You don't really have to plan an entire meal, it isn't really expected at this kind of event.
Language Development In Your Baby
From birth to one year your baby will go from crying to cooing to talking. Those are amazing milestones for your baby to accomplishment in such a short period of time as he develops his speech and language skills.